Photo Credit: Alexandra Mascali
It’s time for Friday Night Bites. Tonight we have Turkey Rice Soup that is perfect for your Thanksgiving Leftovers!
This surprisingly hearty and healthy soup is one fortifying meal that warms you up from your head to your toes. It’s a great “make-ahead” dish that is a true treat to share with friends.
Turkey Rice Soup
Author: Elizabeth Mascali
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 turkey carcass
- 1 lb. leftover turkey, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 carrots
- 2 onions
- Garlic powder
- Fresh cracked salt and pepper
- 5 ½ cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 ½ - 2 cups cooked Lundberg Jubilee rice (this is a full-flavored gluten-free brown-based rice)
- Place turkey carcass in stockpot and fill with water just to cover carcass. Add celery, carrots and onion (peeled and cut in half/quarters). Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions, except use broth instead of water when making rice – this takes 40-50 minutes to prepare so plan accordingly, you can make ahead and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Strain turkey broth, discarding carcass, any turkey meat and veggies. Return broth to pot and add 2 cups of broth, peeled and sliced carrots and diced onion, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add turkey, rice and seasoning to taste and continue simmering for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with a salad, sandwich or fresh bread.
© 2012 Party Bluprints Inc., All Rights Reserved