It’s time for Friday Night Bites and this week we’re turning things around! We’re doing dessert for dinner and that really kicks off the weekend with some smiles – enjoy!
A Mascali family tradition is a special Friday Night Bite: Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches. My father-in-law, “Poppy”, was famous for his homemade waffles. Oftentimes, on a Friday night, Poppy would make the waffles; my mother-in-law would make the ice cream sandwiches and serve them up a little Friday Night Bite. So in honor of “Poppy”, make some Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches to share this Friday Night with family and friends. Here’s my recipe:
|Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches||
- 8 waffles (use your favorite recipe)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 gallon ice cream
- parchment/wax paper
- Line a loaf pan with parchment/wax paper. Soften ice cream and spread into lined loaf pan (tip: this is a great opportunity to use up the half used cartons of ice cream taking up space in your freezer. Also, if you only have vanilla ice cream and want to do some “mix-ins”, e.g., crushed up cookies, candy, cookie dough, sprinkles, etc, this is the time to do it). Cover and freeze at least 6 hours. This is your “ice cream loaf”.
- Prepare waffles (we added chocolate chips) and allow to cool thoroughly. Remove ice cream from pan and slice ½” – 1” slices (I kept them on the thinner side to avoid “too tall” mouthfuls for the kids and a brain freeze).
- Sandwich 2 slices of ice cream side-by-side on top of one waffle and top with other. Wrap in parchment/wax paper and stack in airtight container, place in freezer. Repeat with remaining waffles. Return any remaining ice cream loaf to pan, cover well and freeze for future use. When ready to serve, simply Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches out of the freezer.
Make these at least 6 hours before serving – perfect “make-ahead” dish.