We’re just weeks away from Halloween and since we tend to go overboard on the sweets for this holiday, it’s important to make sure everyone has a healthy meal before heading out for an evening of trick-or-treating. That is why we are excited to share the recipe below that is festive, fun and good for you too!
Garlicky Black Bean Spaghetti Spoons with Deviled Eyes made using Explore Cuisine’s Black Bean Spaghetti are meals that the whole family is sure to love. All Explore Cuisine pastas are vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO and made with 100% organic ingredients. The Black Bean Spaghetti boasts 25 grams of protein per 2 oz. serving and is made from only one ingredient- organic black beans.
Garlicky Black Bean Spaghetti Spoons with Deviled Eyes
- 8 Hard Boiled Eggs
- Food Coloring – one drop or two of desired colors, plus water to dilute
- 4 Jumbo Black Olives
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Mayonnaise
- 1 envelope (about ¼ oz.) Unflavored Gelatin – prepare according to packet instructions. (There will be more gelatin than needed for this recipe)
- Two sharp thin tubes for cutting hard-boiled egg into (1) the size of an iris, and (2) into the size of a pupil.
- Fine paintbrush to paint food coloring.
- Pastry brush for brushing gelatin.
- Use the larger tube to cut the top of the egg in a circle for the iris. Remove the egg white plug. Paint the egg white plug with diluted food coloring to look like an iris. Let dry.
- Use the smaller tube to cut out a place for the pupil in the painted iris. Use the same tube to cut a pupil out of the black olive. Place the olive pupil into the iris.
- Cut off the bottom third of the egg so it will nestle in the spaghetti spoon. Reserve any hard-boiled egg yolks for spaghetti recipe.
- Scoop out a small amount of the egg yolk from the top of the egg to make room for mayonnaise. Squirt garlic mayonnaise into the hollow top of the hard-boiled egg, and then replace the iris plug.
- Paint food coloring bloodshot lines around the iris. Let dry.
- Finish by brushing a light coat of slightly thickened gelatin glaze over the entire eye to give an authentic glossy finish.
Garlicky Black Bean Spaghetti Spoons
- 1 box Explore Cuisine Black Bean Spaghetti – cooked, drained
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. fresh herbs, finely chopped – such as tarragon, parsley, chives
- salt, to taste
- red chili flakes, to taste
- 1 T. cooked egg yolk, grated
- In a medium bowl – combine olive oil with garlic, herbs, salt and chili flakes. Add spaghetti and toss. Sprinkle with grated egg yolk.
- Arrange spaghetti in decorative serving spoons. Place deviled eyes in center.