One of the most fabulous treats of fall, apple crisp is easy and economical.
I made this for my boys (minus the nuts for my son Jake) this week and they loved every bite! It didn’t last long but it just made the dessert menu for Thanksgiving – we will see it again! Try it in your home, I promise it’s super easy and it feels great making a special treat with all the fresh apples in our house.
Holiday Apple Crisp
- 1 lb. bag of medium to soft apples
- 2 tbsp. Fine sugar
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 4 oz. cold butter
- 4 oz fine brown sugar
- 6 oz plain all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degree.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- In a bowl, mix the apples with cinnamon and sugar until they are coated.
- Grease the bottom of a shallow baking dish (I used 9x13x2) with butter and add with the apple mixture.
- Add flour and sugar in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pads and place in the bowl. Mix the butter with the flour and sugar until the mixture has the consistency of breadcrumbs with some chunks.
- Place a thick layer of the crumble as a topping over the apples.
- Heat in oven approximately 30 minutes until the crust becomes golden in color and the apples start bubbling from underneath.
- Remove and cool for around 5 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and chopped nuts.