Here’s an elegant item for your New Year’s Eve celebration, and it works great for New Year’s Day Brunch as well. The potato pancakes take some time and patience, but are well worth the effort. Your guests will be very appreciative!
- 3 medium to large russet potatoes, peeled and shredded coarsely
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder (Note: Most recipes call for diced onion but I prefer onion powder.)
- vegetable oil
- Using cheesecloth, squeeze out as much liquid from the shredded potatoes as possible. Then mix in the egg, flour, large pinches of salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat and generously coat with oil. Using your hands, gather some potato mixture and form a ball. The size of the ball will depend on how large you want your pancake to be. Squeeze out any extra liquid and reform into a tightly packed ball. Place it into the pan and flatten it gently with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown and crunchy.
- Served the potato pancakes with some classic caviar toppings like smoked salmon, sour cream, hard boiled eggs, diced red onion, capers, and lemon wedges.
Recipe from Andrea Correale
Andrea Correale, Celebrity Caterer and Founder & President of Elegant Affairs, has catered to VIP palates including Mariah Carey, Jimmy Fallon, Kevin Spacey, and Liam Neeson, who all enjoyed her inspired take on entertaining.