Today’s Friday Night Bites recipe is a new family favorite for Elizabeth and company, and a delicious way to use up the week’s leftovers! Hope you enjoy.
When I was a kid, I loved when my mom surprised us with French bread pizza. It seemed like such a treat – it was all crunchy and gooey and steamy (I always burned the roof of my mouth on the cheese and sauce because I couldn’t wait to eat it straight out of the oven.)
Last Friday I was looking for something quick to whip up for a “snacky dinner” – we had been enjoying the late day sun at the pool and everyone was hungry. I had some Italian rolls, Italian bread, and fresh tomato sauce in the freezer and I always stock mozzarella and pepperoni in the fridge – plus, we had some buffalo popcorn chicken from take-out the night before. (Make sure to always check your fridge for fun “leftover” toppings.) In less than 15 minutes we had a fun meal and everyone raved over it – go figure.
- 1 large loaf Italian braided bread, slice lengthwise in half (you can also use 6 Italian hero rolls)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ lb. fresh thinly sliced mozzarella
- pepperoni or other toppings(optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place each half of the bread face side up on baking sheet.
- Spread each half with tomato sauce (I like to be a little generous with the sauce.) Spoon by tablespoon onto bread and gently spread leaving a ½” perimeter around bread.
- Cover with thinly sliced mozzarella.
- Top with pepperoni or other toppings.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until bread is warmed through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a minute and then slice and serve. (If you use rolls, no slicing necessary.)