Grilled Italian sausage, peppers and onions is classic combination and a perfect choice for an easy backyard BBQ. It you need a break from hamburgers and hot dogs, mix it up Italian style and mangia! You can grill everything together and then serve it up on the same platter. Let guests dish it up the way they like. Include a basket of fresh Italian rolls (to make a sandwich) and toss a nice green salad with a light dressing. A great complement to this meal is a cool Chianti (I like Da Vinci) and Pellegrino Limonata.
Grilled Sausage, Peppers and Onions
Serve with Italian Rolls – serves 4
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced, about 4 cups
- 3 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and sliced
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound uncooked sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound uncooked hot Italian sausage
- 4 Fresh Italian Rolls (Hoagie, Sub or Grinder Size)
Tips for Grilling :
- Simmer sausage in boiling water first for about 20 minutes. Then remove and grill. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until browned, turning frequently to avoid burning.
- Use a grill topper for the peppers and onions to keep them from burning.