An American Mom Classic and in my book one of the greatest comfort food pairings of all time, tomato soup and grilled cheese is now being featured on the menus of high-end restaurants across the country. It’s stealing the spotlight as the trendy comfort food of choice; toppling the very played-out gourmet versions of mac and cheese we have seen over the past few years. So, take your cue from the culinary world and serve some up at your next soiree. It’s the perfect food for family entertaining, is inexpensive, yet if you add a twist and try the recipes below you will achieve the perfect balance of simple and special at your next party.
The new versions of “Tom and Chee” (the clever name of a booth in Cincinnati’s Fountain Square) are not the Kraft-Campbell’s-Wonder Bread trios you loved and ate as a kid. “Once relegated to kitchen tables, school cafeterias, lunch counters, and diners, slices of processed cheese and ordinary white bread have been replaced by farmstead favorites and chewy or rich loaves” with melted gourmet cheeses - The Boston Globe
Hot new versions of the dynamic duo include:
- Tomato sauce instead of soup for dipping not sipping
- The ABC (apple bacon cheddar) version from a San Fran street cart, aptly named Toasty Melts, notifies customers of their whereabouts via Twitter
- The LA, hot weather, version that calls for tomato soup shooters instead of soup in mugs.
- Brioche instead of plain sliced bread for the sandwich
- An appetizer version: tomato soup shots topped with grilled cheese, like a giant crouton.
Did you know? Americans consume an estimated 2 billion grilled cheese sandwiches every year, often with a serving of tomato soup.
Recipes For A Perfect Pairing:
- Apple, Bacon Cheddar Grilled Cheese by Tyler Florence> Recipe
- Michael Chiarellos’ Homemade Tomato Soup> Recipe
Header Image above from http://forum.playfish.com