Photo credit: Alexandra Mascali
It’s time for Friday Night Bites and tonight we’re turning the hot dog Italian!
There’s some controversy in our state of New Jersey over whether The “Italian Hot Dog” is made with a sausage or hot dog. Regardless, here’s our twist on combining these two summer favorites. Our pairing pick for this meal is a nice cold beer or lemonade. If you want to enjoy the flavor of both in one cocktail, serve up our Beer Cooler ( for recipe GO>)
- 6 large links Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- 2 large red peppers, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion (or 2 medium), sliced
- olive oil
- potato hot dog rolls
- hot mustard
- Precook sausage in microwave for 8 minutes (cover with wax paper before microwaving to avoid oil splattering all over microwave.)
- Place a grill topper for grilling veggies on one side of your grill and preheat grill on medium.
- Place onions and peppers in large sealable plastic bag, sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Seal and gently shake until onions and peppers are covered in oil.
- Grill onions and peppers on grill topper for 15-20 minutes until soft. Throughout grilling time, use tongs or a long-handled spatula to move onions and peppers around to avoid burning.
- During last 10-15 minutes of veggies grilling, put sausage on grill and grill for 10-15 minutes until cooked through and you have some nice grill marks (the grilling time is much less when you precook sausage.)
- Arrange hot dog rolls on platter, spread hot mustard (we used Jalapeno Mustard) on each roll and then fill with a sausage and top with onions and peppers. Repeat until all rolls are filled.
© 2013 Party Bluprints Inc., All Rights Reserved