Start the day and the New Year off with a healthy and delicious breakfast! Today we’re happy to share a recipe for Lemon Blueberry Stuffed French Toast with you from THE GREEK YOGURT KITCHEN. The book is full of healthy and scrumptious, family-friendly meals for you to try this year!
Nutritionist Toby Amidor takes Greek yogurt and elevates it from a pigeonholed breakfast food to an extraordinary, all-purpose ingredient. Her cookbook also showcases the multiple health benefits of Greek yogurt. Did you know that these range from improving heart health to lowering high blood pressure? I didn’t. I also love that the book gives you a crash course in Greek yogurt 101 — from making your own Greek yogurt to tips on what to look for when buying it.
“As a self-proclaimed Greek yogurt addict, this book is heaven. Toby has thought of everything you can possibly do with rich and creamy yogurt, and her creative, mouthwatering recipes will knock your socks off!” –Joy Bauer MS RD CDN, bestselling author and Nutrition/Health Expert for NBC’s TODAY show
Lemon-Blueberry Stuffed French Toast
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ loaf challah bread, preferably whole wheat
- 1 ¼ cups fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed if frozen)
- ¼ cup nonfat lemon Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat it on the stove over medium-low heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Cut the challah into eight ½-inch-thick slices.
- Submerge half the slices in the egg mixture, being sure to moisten both sides.
- Then place soaked slices on the heated skillet and cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and keep warm.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray and repeat with the remaining challah slices.
- To make the filling, mash the blueberries and lemon yogurt together in a small bowl.
- To assemble each stuffed French toast, place 1 piece of French toast on a plate.
- Spread ¼ cup of the lemon-blueberry mixture over the bread. Top with another piece of French toast, and slice in half.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the confectioners’ sugar evenly over the stuffed French toast.
Some of the delicious recipes included in THE GREEK YOGURT KITCHEN:
• Whole grain banana-chocolate chip pancakes
• Smoked salmon torte
• Wasabi sesame dip
• Avocado soup with pineapple salsa
• Mac & cheese
• Quinoa burgers
• Rice pudding with drunken cherry sauce
• Lemon-Blueberry Stuffed French Toast
• Kicked Up Cheddar-Potato Casserole
With over 130 recipes, home chefs will never lack for a simple, mouth-watering meal idea be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or beyond.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN is the founder of Toby Amidor Nutrition, where she provides nutrition and food safety consulting services. She is a nutrition expert for FoodNetwork.com, writing for their Healthy Eats Blog, a regular contributor to U.S. News and World Report’s Eat + Run blog, and an adjunct professor at Teachers College, Columbia University. Toby trained as a clinical dietitian at New York University. Her expertise includes over 14 years of experience in various areas of food and nutrition. Through ongoing consulting and faculty positions, she has established herself as one of the top experts in culinary nutrition, food safety and media.