Photo Credit: Alexandra Mascali
It’s time for Friday Night Bites and tonight we’re featuring a comfort food classic that’s the perfect way to wrap up 2012! It’s also a great way to make use of any left-over Christmas ham. The Monte Cristo Sandwich has a “breakfast for dinner” twist and combines the fun of French toast with hearty ham and cheese. Yum!
Monte Cristo Sandwich
Author: Elizabeth Mascali
Recipe type: Sandwich
- 8 slices bread
- 4 slices American cheese
- 8-12 slices of deli Virginia baked ham, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. milk
- Preheat griddle on medium heat. Beat eggs and milk until thoroughly combined in a pie dish or other large shallow rimmed bowl. Set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches by sandwiching 2-3 slices of ham and 1 slice of cheese in between two slices of bread. Gently press down on top of sandwich to compact.
- Grease griddle generously with butter. Lay sandwich in egg mixture until fully coated and then gently flip sandwich to cover other side of sandwich in mixture. Place sandwich on griddle and grill each side until golden brown and cheese is melted. Continue process until all sandwiches are made.
- Serve immediately with a side of syrup.