This just may be the perfect BBQ Recipe!
When I think of “Cowboy Cooking”, I think of Chuck Wagons and hungry cowboys huddled over the campfire starving after a long day of driving cattle. Cowboy Caviar incorporates the same ingredients (corn, beans and onions) used on the Chuck Wagons in the 1800′s however, it’s a bit more refined. It doesn’t require a campfire, in fact, it doesn’t require an oven, stove or grill either! Although no hot grill is needed, it’s perfect for a BBQ menu wether you’re a guest or a host. It compliments any grilled meat or fish and it can sit at room temperature and not spoil. Serve it simple, alone in a bowl with tortilla chips for dipping or special over a green salad with thin strips of grilled steak, chicken or shrimp. Enjoy!
- 15 1/2 ounce(s) (can) pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 11 ounce(s) (can) corn kernels, drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 large (or 2 small) avocado , diced
- 1 cup(s) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup(s) prepared salsa
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Gently toss to combine. Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Serve over greens as a salad, or with chips for dipping.
All credit to : Jean Scobie of McKinleyville, Calif., the top prize in the Quick & Simple No-Cook Summer Recipes contest.