Looking for a perfect summer side dish? Potato Salad just might be it and this recipe from Elizabeth is amazing! Serve it up at your summer BBQ’s or bring it as a side to one you’re attending. It will be the crowd favorite.
We’ve been making this potato salad in my family for generations – it has evolved a bit as it has moved through the hands of each generation (I deleted hard boiled eggs as an ingredient – sorry Mom)! It’s tangy, creamy, crunchy combination delights me every time I eat it (and I’ve been known to eat it as my meal). FYI – My daughter has joined the generations of women in my family who adore this dish – so I’m happy she’ll be invested in continuing the tradition.
- 7 medium size potatoes, scrubbed
- ½ cup sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 8 oz. bottle zesty Italian salad dressing
- 2 tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- ⅓ cup low-fat mayo
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Place potatoes in a stockpot and fill with cold water until water is just covering potatoes. Bring water to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until just cooked (you should be able to insert a fork – don’t overcook). Transfer potatoes from pot to a large platter/cutting board and allow to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and cube them (don’t worry about making cubes uniform – I like them all different sizes, adds to the dish).
- Add cubed potatoes to a large salad bowl along with onions, carrots and celery. Dress with salad dressing (you’ll use the better part of the bottle as the warm potatoes will absorb the dressing) and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until cold – a few hours, if you feel the need to add a bit more salad dressing, please do – you should be able to taste the zestiness from the dressing.
- Stir in mustard and mayo – mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
© 2012 Party Bluprints Inc., All Rights Reserved