Whether you’re gluten-free or not, it’s nice to try healthier items on your holiday menu.
My mother is diabetic and this year I am making an extra effort to be conscious of the food I serve and how it impacts her health and enjoyment. That’s why I’m so pleased to share a special recipe from Stanley Tucci and his wife for gluten-free Quinoa With Pomegranate & Pistachio .
Healthy and full of flavor, this recipe is ideal for parents and kids alike who are following gluten-free diets and can easily be customized to add favorite cheeses (feta, goat, etc.) and/or spices. It also makes a perfect side dish to complement the traditional offerings at this year’s Thanksgiving table. For more with Stanley Tucci read online her at the Oct./Nov. issue of AARP The Magazine> Be sure to check it out!Stanley Tucci in Oct./Nov. issue of AARP The Magazine
Quinoa With Pomegranate & Pistachio
- 2 cups quinoa
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, plus 2 tablespoons for serving
- 3 tablespoons salted pistachios
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced into rounds (optional)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for the orange
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water to remove its bitterness.
- Bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Dress with the olive oil and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and set aside to cool.
- Gently mix the pomegranate seeds, pistachios and scallions into the quinoa. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with sliced oranges dressed with olive oil, if desired.