You will LOVE this Simple Strawberry Jam – no pectin, no canning, no fuss from Elizabehth!
Make a simple strawberry jam to add to your breakfast, brunch or tea table as a special touch. Spreading it on toast, biscuits, muffins, bagels, croissants, waffles or pancakes feels decadent – it truly is a treat!
I was inspired to create this simple recipe because: (1) I had a craving for homemade jam like my mom made when we were kids, (2) I had a dozen or so strawberries that were ripe (my kids won’t eat them unless they are firm – didn’t want them to go to waste), and (3) I didn’t want the hassle of canning, I didn’t have any pectin and I didn’t have the large quantity of strawberries and sugar required for the old-fashioned recipes. So into the kitchen I went and here’s what I whipped up.
Simple Strawberry Jam
(Yields approx. ¾ cup/6 oz. of jam depending on size of your strawberries)
- 12 ripe medium/large strawberries (washed, dried, hulled & mashed)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Pour all ingredients into a non-stick saucepan.
- Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally until all sugar is dissolved, about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium and bring to a slight boil for an additional 30-35 minutes (stirring occasionally) until mixture has thickened to a jam consistency.
- Remove from heat and cool before storing in an airtight container.
- Store in refrigerator.
Note this is a great “make ahead recipe” so all you have to do in the morning is pull it out of the refrigerator!