It’s time for Friday Night Bites and tonight we have some soup for the soul!
We love serving a one-pot meal on Friday night, it makes clean-up easy, so we can start enjoying the weekend, as soon as dinner’s done. Add some fresh bread and Vino (lightly oaked Chardonnay is a great match) if you like, and you have a meal that’s just right for inviting guests to join.
- 1 Roaster Chicken, cooked
- 5 large carrots, peeled and cleaned
- 5 celery stalks, cleaned
- 2 large sweet onions (Vidalia), peeled
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice, (we used brown rice)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Remove white meat from roasted chicken and cut into bite-size pieces, refrigerate.
- Place chicken carcass in large stock pot and fill with water until chicken is covered. Add 3 carrots and 3 celery stalks (cut in half), along with an onion cut into quarters.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for four hours.
- Place colander over large glass bowl or container and carefully pour broth through colander to strain. Discard everything but broth. Cover broth and refrigerate, 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Skim fat from top of broth and return broth to stock pot. Add additional 3 ½ cups prepared chicken broth (gives homemade broth just a bit more “body” and flavor) and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Slice and dice carrots, celery and onion and add to broth along with chicken and cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
© 2013 Party Bluprints Inc., All Rights Reserved