Warm Up with a Healthy, Gluten -Free & Hearty Meatless Soup and be sure to check out more recipes at BlueDiamond.com
When entertaining you need to consider the dietary restrictions of your guests. One issue that keeps coming up for me is the need for many of my friends and their children to eat gluten-free. If you are gluten-free or entertaining someone that is this winter, try this delicious soup. To make it more special, serve it with crunchy Nut•Thins® in lieu of bread. Nut•Thins® are available in nine flavors, and are a lovely gluten-free accompaniment that’s perfect alongside a bowl of soup or as a snack! My pick is Hint of Sea Salt, but you can see all the flavors here>
Curried Lentil, Sausage and Almond Soup
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (10-ounce) package soy-based meatless sausage
- 1 (15-ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup slivered Blue Diamond almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat almonds in a large pot, stirring occasionally on high heat until light brown and toasted; remove and set aside. Heat curry powder in pot, tossing frequently, just until fragrant; remove and set aside.
- Heat oil in pot; add carrot and garlic. Turn heat to medium-low and cover pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until carrot is nearly soft. Slice sausage into bite-sized pieces and add to pot; stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in lentils, chickpeas and broth. Increase heat and bring to a boil; stir in curry powder to taste (not necessarily using all of it). Stir in toasted almonds and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
*Courtesy of the Almond Board of California.