Spring is here and so many fruits and vegetables we missed all winter are back in season. Here are two delicious and easy recipes for putting some spring into your salad and wowing your family and guests. Note: Grilled Chicken or Shrimp on either can turn this salad into a meal.
Spring Greens Fruit Salad (Crowd Size) – From Betty Crocker
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- Dash of salt
- 6 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 peaches, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced Gouda cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Mix vinegar, oil, honey, marjoram and salt.
- In large serving bowl, mix baby greens, strawberries, peaches and cheese. Add vinegar mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with hazelnuts.
Spring Raspberry Salad – From Betty Crocker
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bag (5 oz) torn mixed salad greens
- 2 containers (6 oz each) fresh raspberries (2 cups)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- In 8-inch nonstick skillet cook walnuts and sugar over low heat about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted and walnuts are coated; cool and break apart.
- In large bowl, combine salad greens, raspberries, onion and dates. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Top with cheese and walnuts.