Halloween Treats Without the Sugar
We have some amazing Halloween Treats, without the sugar, that look and taste spooktacular! Despite all the goblins, ghosts and ghouls, the spookiest part about Halloween may just be the outrageous amount of sugar and candy we all consume on this one night each year. In fact, 4% of all candy eaten in the U.S. occurs on Halloween night! That means the average trick-or-treater’s bag of candy is equivalent to 4,800 calories and 3 cups of sugar.
Knowing facts like that is just plain scary, so we wanted to share some really special treats that cut out the sugar, but still taste great and look festive for Halloween.
Below are three Halloween recipes created by Chef Anthony Stewart, the Executive Chef at Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa. We hope you will give them a try this year.
Check out the Halloween Bat Bar – Perfect for any Halloween Party!!
Candy Corn Fruit Cup | Halloween Treats without the Sugar
Excellent for a Halloween party or for a dessert any time of the year. It’s healthy, sweet, tangy, and oh-so-easy to put together.
- 2 cups mango cubes
- 2 cups clementine segments
- 2 cups fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- Top with zest of clementine
Chocolate Jack O’Lantern | Halloween Treats without the Sugar
For spooky, chocolatey fun, carve out oranges and fill with Pritikin’s Chocolate Mousse.
Servings: 5 half-cup servings
- 1/4 cup water cold
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/4 cup Splenda granulated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces tofu silken, extra-firm
- In a medium saucepan, add water and warm over low heat, bringing to a low simmer.
- Add cocoa powder to saucepan, stirring constantly until the mixture becomes a fudge-like consistency.
- Remove from heat.
- Add Splenda to fudge, mixing well. Add vanilla extract, mixing well.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, add tofu and chocolate fudge mixture. Process until mixture is smooth and creamy.
Halloween Kabobs | Halloween Treats without the Sugar
How easy! Simply skewer cantaloupe cubes and blackberries. And so easy for the kids to pick up and snack on! (We’re not guaranteeing they’ll forget the sugary treats in their bags, but these colorful kabobs just may do the trick.)
We have some additional amazing Halloween recipes that don’t include candy!