How To Make Valentine’s Day Whoopie (Pies)
For all you Devil Dog fans, this Whoopie Pie recipe should be right up your alley! A party treat that’s fun to say and eat.
Whether you consider a Whoopie Pie a cookie, pie or cake, we can all agree it’s a delicious All-American indulgence. We also think it makes the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert, one that the kids and adults love equally. In honor of the holiday, take some extra time and make these Whoopie Pies from scratch with love. It’s easier than you think and the results will be worth it. Happy Valentine’s Day and cheers to making Whoopie!
Not only is it fun to say “Whoopie Pies”, but they are a real treat to serve (and eat!)
What’s your favorite way to make whoopie? 😉
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ Tbs. vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ Tbsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 stick butter
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Combine sugar, butter and eggs in mixer and beat on medium until thoroughly combined. Mix in oil and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add ½ of dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Mix in ¾ cup milk. Repeat process with remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining milk.
- Scoop approx. ¼ cup batter onto parchment lined baking sheets (see image) – make sure you end up with an even number as each Whoopie pie requires two cakes. Bake for approx. 10 minutes, when you press your finger on the top, it should bounce back. Remove from oven and cool.
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare your filling. Add butter and cream cheese to mixing bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. Slowly mix in confectioners’ sugar.
- Spoon filling on center of underside of cake, top with another cake and apply a bit of pressure to distribute filling. Continue with remaining cake until all Whoopie Pies are assembled.