We are happy to share our delicious and super easy Make-Ahead Memorial Day Menu with you!
Memorial Day weekend is a time to remember the troops who served and sacrificed in order to make America, and the world a better place. The three-day weekend also commemorates the start of summer. There are so many wonderful ways to celebrate, but if you are in need of some inspiration we have fun party activities for the kids (and grown ups) that are meaningful too. Click through for our suggestions > Memorial Day Party – putting meaning in your celebration.
Below please enjoy our line up of delicious and easy recipes. They allow you to host a memorable Memorial Day bash and leave you FREE to enjoy the fun!
(Recipe Serves 10-12)
- 4-5 pound boneless pork butt (shoulder)
- 1 14 1/2-oz can beef broth
- 1/3 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 10-12 sandwich buns
- Place pork butt in bottom of large slow cooker. Combine broth, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce, and pour over pork. Cover and cook on high setting for 5 hours (or 8-10 hours on low setting) until pork is very tender. Meanwhile, for sauce, combine all ingredients in large saucepan; set aside.
- Place pork on cutting board; reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Coarsely chop pork; combine with reserved cooking liquid and sauce in saucepan; heat over medium heat until warm. Spoon pork onto sandwich buns to serve.
(Recipe Serves 10-12)
Here is a light and refreshing version of coleslaw. This slaw is the perfect picnic side dish. It’s also the ultimate topping for BBQ Pork Sandwiches and Hot Dogs!
- 1 head napa cabbage – washed, dried, shredded
- 1 small carrot – grated
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine shredded cabbage and carrots. Cover and refrigerate until ready to dress and serve. Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar or blender. Shake/blend well. Cover and set aside until ready to dress salad and serve. Dress salad lightly, toss to fully coat and serve. You want to serve it nice and crunchy, so don’t let it sit too long with dressing before serving.
Hot Dog Kebabs (for the kids) or GrIlled Hot Dogs Topped with Nappa Slaw
- Hot Dogs – sliced into 1 ½” pieces
- Tater Tots – frozen
- Kosher Dill Pickles – sliced into 1 ½” pieces
- Cherry Tomatoes – washed and dried
- Red Onion – cut into wedges
- Optional: Biscuits (recipe for a light version here>)
- Soak skewers in water (this will keep them from burning on the grill). Prepare kebabs ahead of time. Cook hot dogs and tater tots according to directions on package, set aside to cool. When cool, slice hot dogs into 1 ½” pieces. Cut other items and set aside. When ready to assemble simply start skewering hot dogs, tater tots, pickles, cherry tomatoes and onion. Grill to warm through and serve.
- A good rule is 1 kebab per child, 2 kebabs for children over 12.
Optional: Serve biscuits (whether you make these from scratch, box mix or refrigerated canisters, they’ll be a hot ticket item) with the kebabs.
Corn and Black Bean Salad
(Recipe serves 4)
- 1 can, 14 ounces, black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped in small uniform pieces
- 1/2 red onion, chopped chopped in small uniform pieces
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper and chopped cilantro to taste