I love this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. Why not grill up dessert when hosting a BBQ? While the grill is on and hot, use it and stay out of the kitchen. This dessert takes just about 5 minutes to prepare and only 10 minutes on the grill. The result is a delicious and impressive dessert for guests, served up hot and fresh, right before their eyes!
Simple and special is the way to go for stress free entertaining. For all 12 great grilled dessert recipes see the Better Homes and Gardens article, “irresistible & easy grilled dessert recipes”.
Bananas Suzette over Grilled Pound Cake
Prep: 10 min.
Grill: 6 min.
- 2 medium ripe, yet firm, bananas
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 of 10-3/4-ounce package frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 4 slices
- Shredded orange peel (optional)
- Ground nutmeg (optional)
1. Peel bananas; bias-slice each banana into 8 pieces. Preheat a heavy 8-inch skillet* on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add sugar, liqueur, juice, and butter. Cook about 1 minute or until butter is melted and sugar begins to dissolve. Add the bananas and cook about 4 minutes more or just until bananas are tender, stirring once. Stir in the 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg. Set skillet to the side of the grill rack. Add pound cake slices to grill rack; grill cake about 1 minute or until golden brown, turning once halfway through cooking.
2. To serve, spoon bananas and sauce over pound cake slices. If desired, garnish with shredded orange peel and additional nutmeg. Makes 4 servings.
*Note: The heat from the grill will blacken the outside of the skillet, so use a cast-iron or old skillet.
Photo and recipe credit to Better Homes and Gardens