Looking for a simple, special and inexpensive way to host a DIVA style soiree for the girls? Well, here is it – compliments of Lifetime Television’s Drop Dead Diva!
The economy is bad, the world is going broke – we hear it everyday in the news and feel the pain in our own lives. So this summer, if you need to skip the vacation or cut back on some of the extras, make sure you still indulge the Diva in you. Let “Drop Dead Diva” make Sunday night special this summer. Set aside one Sunday night to host a viewing party for the girls or take turns hosting and make it a weekly event. Invite the ladies over for a “Diva Night“ or make it “Mother and Daughter Diva Night“, as the series has a great message for young girls! You can stay in touch with all things “Drop Dead Diva” on the facebook fan page and on twitter and be sure to check out our interview with Brooke Elliot go>
Tips for Hosting
1. Invitation: Invite the ladies over from 8pm- 10pm for A Diva Night of Sweets and Treats. Start an hour before the 9pm show time to give the girls a chance to mingle, plus Divas are notoriously late. In your invitation, include a request for the girls to glam it up by dressing like a Diva. It should be fun not stressful, so pick one Diva item to focus on, like ‘”bling” or shoes or provide pink boas like the ones pictured below. An invitation by phone call or email will suffice. If it isn’t an impromptu party, try one of these really retro Girls’ Night electronic invites from: http://sendomatic.com/girls-night-invitations.html.
2. Cocktail: Serve Sealed With A Kiss Cosmos by The Cocktail Deeva as your signature cocktail.(recipe> ) or red wine it pairs perfectly with chocolate. You should also provide a cool pitcher of water with sliced orange.
3. Menu: Serve up sweet treats for the Divas to nosh on as they watch. Assorted chocolates, macarons, fresh berries with whipped cream and pound cake or white sponge cake are perfect. Arrange them on pretty platters or cake stands of varying heights.
4. Tablescape: Buy a bunch of daisies, hydrangeas or any flower that’s on sale at your market. Any color will do as long as you like it, but stick with one type. From the bunch, create several small arrangements (you only need one or two flowers in each). Put them in vases or glasses of various heights and group them in a few different spots throughout the room. Add a candle to each grouping and keep the artificial lights low. This will give the room the a “Diva” glow.
5. Music: Play your favorite tunes and set the mood. You can order “Music from the Original Television Series Drop Dead Diva” at amazon.com
Ideas for Swag Bag Fillers:
- Silver or Gold Shopping Tote on a key ring (at Pier 1 and pictured above) – $3.50
- Flip Flops (Target) – $.70 or Cozy Socks (local drugstore) – $.99
- Alba Lip Balm (local drugstore) – $3.49
- Junior Mints 12 oz. movie style box (Target) – $2.69
- Assorted Nuts (Target) – box of 5 for $4.49
- Smartfood popcorn clusters – Gourmet Popcorn Mix (Target) – box of 5 for $3.00
- Make sure your television is in good working order.
- Create a comfortable viewing area, all with a good view of the televised event. Bring in extra chairs, stools, ottomans, beanbag chairs, and over-sized pillows to intermingle with existing seating.
- Place cozy blankets on the backs of sofas and chairs – Divas like to be comfortable.
- One of the greatest treats growing up, was eating in front of the television so indulge your Divas. Make sure there are surfaces and coasters for them to set glasses and plates while viewing.
- Prepare and display beverages and food ahead of guests’ arrival, so you can enjoy the ladies and the party.
About Drop Dead Diva: The highly anticipated second season of Lifetime Television’s hit series “Drop Dead Diva” will premiere Sunday, June 6, 2010, at 9 pm et/pt. Praised by critics as one of 2009’s top new series, the one-hour, comedic drama tells the story of a shallow wannabe model who dies in a sudden accident only to find her soul resurfacing in the body of a brilliant, plus-size and recently deceased attorney, Jane. Produced by Sony Pictures Television, “Drop Dead Diva” features breakout star Brooke Elliott (“Wicked,” “Taboo”), Margaret Cho (“Ghost Whisperer,” “Notorious C.H.O.”). The second season of “Drop Dead Diva” will feature 13 new episodes and the premier episode will feature Paula Abdul reprising her role as Judge Paula Abdul, a figment of Jane’s subconscious.