If you’re looking for a special family dessert idea for the holiday weekend, look no further than below.
Ice cream and waffles are a fun twist on ice cream sandwiches. They bring me back to my childhood and time spent on the Jersey Shore Boardwalk. You can still find wafflewiches there, just follow your nose because you can smell them long before you arrived at the booth where they are sold. In case you can’t visit the Jersey Shore, it’s easy to enjoy them at home – I do frequently. My favorite way serve this dessert is with homemade waffles, fresh from my waffle maker. We like to topped them with a scoop of vanilla + chocolate ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate syrup and powdered sugar. When I’m short on time, I use Eggo Thick & Fluffy, they work just fine.
We are happy to share the below family recipe for Ice Cream Wafflewiches from Elizabeth. We hope you try them this weekend and enjoy your Labor Day Celebrations!
Ice Cream Wafflewiches
- 8 waffles (use your favorite recipe or work well too)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 gallon ice cream
- parchment/wax paper
- Line a loaf pan with parchment/wax paper. Soften ice cream and spread into lined loaf pan (tip: this is a great opportunity to use up the half used cartons of ice cream taking up space in your freezer. Also, if you only have vanilla ice cream and want to do some “mix-ins”, e.g., crushed up cookies, candy, cookie dough, sprinkles, etc, this is the time to do it). Cover and freeze at least 6 hours. This is your “ice cream loaf”.
- Prepare waffles (we added chocolate chips) and allow to cool thoroughly. Remove ice cream from pan and slice ½” – 1” slices (I kept them on the thinner side to avoid “too tall” mouthfuls for the kids and a brain freeze).
- Sandwich 2 slices of ice cream side-by-side on top of one waffle and top with other. Wrap in parchment/wax paper and stack in airtight container, place in freezer. Repeat with remaining waffles. Return any remaining ice cream loaf to pan, cover well and freeze for future use. When ready to serve, simply Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches out of the freezer.